Thursday, December 13, 2012

New Moon

Ever since I read Shambhavi's book, Yogini, I've been fascinated with the idea of doing special sadhana during specific astrological events.  Today being one of those times.  I'm hosting my first "new moon" gathering this evening.  My intention is to plant the seeds of spiritual community.  I know the power of group practice but my exploration into astrology is minimal.  I've therefore consulted an astrologer, my friend, Christopher Burns.  Here's what he had to say:

"Aum Gam Ganapataye Namaha'

The final new Moon of 2012 takes place at 3:42am in the Eastern time zone.

On December 13, 2012 our Sun and Moon come together in the final degrees of Scorpio in the stars of Jyeshtha. The new Moon represents renewal, it is the end of one cycle and the beginning of another. Scorpio is the feminine internal process of Mars and it is the sign of debilitation for the Moon. Our heart and mind (Moon) seek stability and comfort (Taurus). The depth of Scorpio can be unnerving as it is the space in which we face the unknown. Here in the depths of Scorpio we find our inner strength. This new Moon calls on us to go within and confront our projected fears and see them for what they truly are. We are receiving a tremendous amount of support from Jupiter (Guru) who is retrograde in Taurus. The two planets of communication, Mercury and Venus, also support as they are in Scorpio as well. Saturn and Mars also influence as the Moon was with Saturn in Libra leading up to Scorpio and will join Mars later in the day. Saturn can feel heavy on the mind as he shows us the truth and as we enter into the next lunar phase, Mars will help us to make use of the renewed inner strength that this new Moon signifies. The star Jyeshtha is said to be ruled by Indra, king of the Devas and the lord of thunder. These stars bring the power to rise and conquer, to find courage in battle. Indra rides upon the elephant and is the slayer of the dragon. He provides the final steps in the feminine reflective process of our passions as to ready us to take action on our beliefs and fulfill our dharma."

I've come to realize that creating spiritual community is my dharma.  It's also where I find the support I need to "confront" my fears and take action on things that I feel passionate about... like sadhana...

Om Som Somaya Namaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you say to your 19-year-old self?

  When I was 19 years old I didn't know a damn thing about life.  I certainly didn't know a damn thing about myself (I just didn'...