Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Inspiration on a coffee mug!

"Just when the caterpillar thought it was the end of the world he turned into a butterfly"

This quote and a conversation with my teacher last night reminded me that no matter the depth of my despair somehow I am always lifted up.   Somehow when I feel like I'm at the end of my rope, miraculously the rope gets a little longer.  When I've spend my last penny there's always just a few more that seem to appear out of no where.  The message:  We will always have what we need.... Maybe not always what we want but certainly what we need. 

I'm not going to lie.  I didn't always believe this.  Whenever I heard anyone say things like "the Universe always provides" I would cringe.  The cynic in me would  point out all the things that were lacking in my life.  But somehow, whenever I found myself truly needing something, whatever that something is, it appears. 

How does that happen?  Is there really a God watching over us or is it that the things we needed were there all along but we just didn't see what was right in front of us? Is it really just a matter of faith?  If I believe that I'll have everything I need will I?   How exactly does that work I wonder? 

A few years ago I read a book called The Secret.  The idea offered in this book was that if you want something bad enough then the Universe will of course provide it.  It suggested if you want a new car you just have to visualize yourself driving that new car and voila! You will get the new car.  Did I mention that I'm a cynic?  So I set out to experiment with this idea.  I tried to visualize myself as a millionaire......that didn't work.  I tried to visualize myself looking like a super model......that didn't work.   I wanted to take the 200 hour yoga teacher training.  I offered it up to the Universe.  "If I'm meant to become a yoga teacher then the money will appear"  The money appeared.   If I knew it was that easy I'd have asked for more.  I try again.... I want to be a millionaire.....NOTHING.  

A couple of years later, I still wasn't a millionaire but I really really wanted to take the 500 hour advanced yoga teacher training.  Yoohoo....Universe.... What do you know?  A job offer appeared, teaching at a local yoga studio.   At the end of each month I had exactly the amount I needed to pay the monthly tuition.  Not a dollar more but exactly what I needed.  The training was over and so was the job. 

I've given up asking to be a millionaire or a super model. The universe obviously doesn't feel that I need those things.  I am, however, content in the knowledge that I'll always have what I need.
I slept really well last night.  Was it the asana practice? Or was it because just when I started to worry that it was the end of world I remembered that I have all that I need? Either way.... Om Namah Shivaya!



No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you say to your 19-year-old self?

  When I was 19 years old I didn't know a damn thing about life.  I certainly didn't know a damn thing about myself (I just didn'...