Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Note to self: Learn quickly or be prepared to repeat!!

"I am burning a lot of karma in this lifetime and I'm telling you right now if I don't achieve enlightenment I'm going to be really MAD!!!" Yes, folks...that was the beginning of yet another mental temper tantrum.  Of course, it was all down hill from there!

"Why the hell do I have to deal with so much crap?!"  "I'm trying to be a good person, why doesn't God give me a break?!"  "Are you kidding me? Do I have to go through this lesson again?!"  "What the hell is it about me that seems to attract the most challenging people on the planet into my life?!"  (By this point, I thought the top of my head was going to blow off)

Time to hit the pause button.  Playing the victim, even in my own mind, will not serve me.  Feeling sorry for myself, will not serve me.  Those memories that I re-hash about all the people who did me wrong, they no longer serve me.  This mental drama that's playing only depletes me of vital energy that I need for spiritual practice.   Every challenge is an opportunity to practice yoga.  This challenge is no different.

Shiva Das reminded us of the story of the Ramayana.  He told us about how Rama had to face challenge after challenge in his life and how he always choose to do what was in the best interest of all.  He did always what was for the greater good not just for himself but for everyone.  Choosing always the highest thought. 

Well, I have to admit that I was not thinking the highest thought during my temper tantrum.  When I find myself being strangled by negative thoughts I try to remember gratitude.  No matter what troubles I'm dealing with they are nothing compared to the troubles that some people have to deal with. 

And so I remember gratitude: 

* Today I am grateful for this moment of quiet
* Today I am grateful that my family is healthy
* Today I am grateful for my yoga community
* Today I am grateful that I remembered......
* Today I am grateful for the strength I have to carry the load I have been given
* Today I am grateful for the challenges that give me the opportunity to practice yoga

Temper tantrums are inevitable......How long they last and how we deal with them is totally our choice.  Remember Rama....Choose the higher thought.  Make decisions that are for the greater good of all.

If the temper tantrum persists and all else fails you can try this ancient yogic secret for reducing pitta:

step one:      get a big bucket
step two:      fill it with ice water
step three:    stick your head in it
step four:      soak head for 10 minutes or until the temper tantrum passes..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you say to your 19-year-old self?

  When I was 19 years old I didn't know a damn thing about life.  I certainly didn't know a damn thing about myself (I just didn'...