Monday, June 24, 2019

Change is bittersweet

It hit me today.  I've known it would happen but today the reality of it hit me.  Tomorrow morning will be the last yoga class I take in this space.  As I sat at the coffee shop sipping Chai I looked across the street.  Reminiscing  about the first class I took at Yoga on Main.  

It was a Saturday morning and the first person I met when I opened the door to Yoga on Main was a woman named Kate. She had long hair, almost down to her feet.  She greeted me with a smile and a hug as she said "I'm so glad you're here." In that moment I had no idea how much my life would change; how much I would change.

My love affair with yoga had begun many years before.  By the time I arrived at Yoga on Main I had established a home practice and I was meditating daily.  Actually, I was already teaching by then.  My regular yoga teacher had stopped teaching on Saturdays so I was just looking for a place to practice.  What I found was so much more.   

Yoga on Main is not just a yoga studio.  I don't think there are words to adequately convey what Yoga on Main is but I'm going to try.  A lot of people, when they first come to YOM, say they can feel the years of spiritual practice that has happened in the space.  Some returning students have referred to YOM as the "mother ship" and expressed that coming back to the studio is like coming back home to refuel.   Some have said that no matter how far away they travel or how long they have been away they are comforted knowing that YOM is always there.  In a world of constant change YOM has been a stable base for so many people.  It's been a spring board for others. Over the years many students have been trained here and have gone on to become incredible yoga teachers themselves. Many opening their own studios near and far.  

At Yoga on Main I learned how to be a yoga teacher, and an Ayurveda Lifestyle consultant but most importantly I learned how to be a yoga student.  I have learned the tools necessary to navigate the journey to self-realization.  I started practicing yoga as a way to relieve stress but the practice has also taken me into the depths of my soul.  For me, Yoga on Main is a sacred container.  In that space I feel safe to explore, to let my guard down, to be vulnerable, to be authentically ME.

In this sacred space I have learned to look at the challenges in life as a opportunity to put the teachings of yoga into practice.  I have learned that yoga isn't just the physical practice that we do once a week in yoga class.  I've learned that yoga is a way of living in harmony with nature and with each other.  

Let's face it though,  Yoga is not all love and light and cotton candy.  This practice of yoga is hard sometimes.  I have had my fair share of challenges even in yoga land.  I've come face to face with my own ego and the ego of others.  Those times when my ego got the best of me I would feel ashamed about the way I handled situations.  I would return to Yoga on Main,  head down in shame and I would be greeted with open arms and the world famous, Shiva Das hug.  In those moments I learned forgiveness in my teacher's example. 

This sacred space that is Yoga on Main cannot be contained in the four walls of a building.  The scared space that is Yoga on Main is a way of living, it is a practice of living in harmony with nature and in harmony with each other.   Yoga on Main is a community of teachers, students, and spiritual seekers.  The wisdom, love, and support provided to so many is so big and so deep that no building can contain it.  

The "mother-ship" is moving but the sacred container that is Yoga on Main will remain the same safe haven it's always been.  No matter how far we travel or how long we've been away there will always be Yoga on Main waiting with open arms, a smile and the feeling of  "I'm so glad you're here"  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you say to your 19-year-old self?

  When I was 19 years old I didn't know a damn thing about life.  I certainly didn't know a damn thing about myself (I just didn'...