Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Red Shoes

Om Shum Shukraya Namaha

My teacher once said that when someone reads your astrology chart it's like you're standing in front of them naked.  Since this post will be brief I guess you could consider this just getting flashed!

Anyway.... One of the remedial measures I was given at the time of my vedic astrology reading was to strengthen Venus.  So I was instructed to offer a white flower to a female teacher on Fridays.  Chant mantras to Shukra (Venus).  Beautify my environment by surrounding myself with beautiful things.  I was also instructed to take care of myself.  To do things that help me feel good about myself.

Finally! I thought, I have fun things to do instead of  the usual depressing kapha instructions like giving up all the foods I love, skipping the Sunday afternoon naps and not including savasana after asana practice.

It wasn't until I started doing those things that I realized how out of touch I was.  I am a very practical, straight forward kind of person.  I was more concerned about practicality than beauty.   I'd much rather spend the hour on the meditation cushion than in front of the mirror primping. I didn't see the value of surrounding myself with things that will only end up broken or lost. Or even worse....collecting dust.

It isn't as easy as it sounds, believe it or not.  I've discovered that for some people beautifying their environment and them selves comes very easily.  Take my mother for instance, even the simple act
Of making pizza becomes a work of art with each ingredient placed perfectly to insure it looks beautiful.   She can make any room look beautiful  in minutes even with just the stuff already there. If she sees something she finds beautiful she has to have it.  I'm content admiring it and leaving it at the store.

I've been working at this for nearly a year.  Offering a white flower to a female teacher every Friday and chanting the mantra for Venus has become second nature.  Beautifying my environment by creating my beautiful new yoga space was exciting and I do really enjoy spending time there.

I've spent the last six weeks creating new healthier habits that are helping me feel good about myself.   And Today I did something completely out of character for me.  I bought something so impractical.... Drum roll please......
Red shoes!

What I've discovered about myself during this practice of strengthening Venus is that I'm not comfortable with attention.  I prefer to stay in the back-ground.  Now the question is why?  Why is it that some people LOVE attention and demand attention while others, like me, avoid it at all cost?  

Here comes the flash.....Pay a little attention to the wall flowers  in your life and you'll be amazed at beautifully they bloom!!

Om Shum Shukraya Namaha






No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you say to your 19-year-old self?

  When I was 19 years old I didn't know a damn thing about life.  I certainly didn't know a damn thing about myself (I just didn'...