Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Being a yogi requires integrity

The word integrity has been floating around in my head a lot.  Mostly because what I've been aware of is people's lack of integrity.  I remind my children when they go out that even if I don't know what they are doing, God knows what they are doing.  I wonder how many people consider that.  Even when no one is looking, God is looking.  Would you behave the same way in front of God?

I googled the word integrity.  Here's what I got:
in·teg·ri·ty  [in-teg-ri-tee]

noun
1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
2. the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished: to preserve the integrity of the empire.

On more than one occasion I've been told that I expect too much from people.  It has also been suggested that not everyone thinks like me.  I agree on both points but is it unrealistic to expect people to have integrity?  Look at the definition:  "Adherence to moral or ethical principles; honesty"

I believe that EVERYONE, ALL THE TIME should adhere to moral or ethical principles.  Even more so for those of us who are living our yoga.  Are they not the foundation of our yoga practice?  The eight steps in Patanjali's eight fold path start with our moral and ethical code:  Yama and Niyamas,  Remember those?

When we choose to be a yogi we are choosing to live with integrity.  I've spend much time contemplating what it means to be a yogi and here's what I've come up with. (The top 5 anyway)

*  Making the purpose of our life to achieve self realization - even if it means we discover things along
    the way that we don't like and need to change.

*  To live by the yamas and niyamas - even when no one is looking.

*   We fulfill our responsibilities to our family and community - offering the fruit of our work to God.

*  Learning to see God in everyone - even those people you really want to smack.

*  Daily sadhana - even when we'd rather stay in bed.

Just because you can stand on your head and wear $98. yoga pants does not make you a yogi.  Just because you wear beautiful malas and know how to chant in sanskrit doesn't make you a yogi.  Just because you study yoga doesn't make you a yogi. 

Being a yogi is about how you choose to live your life.  Being a yogi isn't something that you can separate from who you are.  You can't take it off like you do your malas or your fancy pants.  Being a yogi is woven into the fiber of your being.......Even when no-one is looking. 

Integrity: adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.

              the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished: to preserve the integrity of the empire.




















No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you say to your 19-year-old self?

  When I was 19 years old I didn't know a damn thing about life.  I certainly didn't know a damn thing about myself (I just didn'...