Sunday, April 11, 2010

Finding balance

“Now reach in all directions” I hear SD say as I struggle to find balance in Virabhadrasana III (warrior III).  I found this asana more challenging than usual yesterday. Could it be because I’m having difficulty finding balance in other areas of my life?? With the gentle reminder to ground down through to ball of right foot I begin to realize that in order to “reach in all directions” I need to stay grounded both in the pose and in my life.

You know when you are on a plane and the flight attendant tells you in the event of an emergency, you need to put on your own oxygen mask first before you can help others? It sounds like logically advice doesn’t it? Don’t all the parenting books recommend that you get yourself ready first in the morning before waking your kids up? Again, it makes sense right? Why shouldn’t the same advice hold true in other areas of our lives?

After all, how can we have the energy and patience to take care of others if we haven’t taken care of ourselves first?

If you’ve ever tried to balance in Virabhadrasana III or in any other balance pose you know that first you need to establish a sense of being grounded and focused. Then you can move into the pose feeling balanced and stable. Without grounding and focusing first - balance is impossible.

Let’s face it, we all have too many things on our “to do list”. We all have people in our lives who need and want our attention. How do “reach in all directions” and still maintain balance? -- In my humble opinion, it’s by maintaining a regular sadhana (spiritual practice). I’m referring to yoga/meditation here but it can also be praying or any ritual from your own religious tradition.

In one of his talks on meditation, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi said “ you wouldn’t take a vacation from brushing your teeth so you don’t take a vacation from meditation”. Sounds silly to compare meditation to brushing your teeth but I’ve come to understand that sadhana needs to be done as a regular part of your morning routine just like brushing your teeth.
 
Then, and only then, will we have the energy and patience we need to be able to take care of others.
 
Gayatri mantra sadhana - day 8
Some days a 30 minute meditation feels like a tease.  Other days 30 minutes feels like an eternity.
Today it was a tease.  I wasn't ready for the day to begin yet.  I could have used a little more time on the meditation cushion.  I shouldn't have slept the extra half hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you say to your 19-year-old self?

  When I was 19 years old I didn't know a damn thing about life.  I certainly didn't know a damn thing about myself (I just didn'...