Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fire! Fire!


 This..... is how I felt all day today.  It started after yoga last night.  Strange isn't it?  Have you ever felt like you could shoot fire out your mouth after yoga?  Not exactly the result I had been hoping for but that was the result just the same.  Every practice offers an opportunity to learn something. 

Yesterday was super busy all day.  I felt like I was running at 100 mph.  I was rushing from one thing to the next.  The temperature outside was 100 degrees, hot and humid.  I get to class and there's no a/c.  The windows don't open and the doors are closed.  I was sweating just sitting for the opening meditation.  The practice increased the fire both physically and mentally.  By the time we got to savasana the tension in my body was so intense and there was so much pressure in my head.  Besides feeling like fire was shooting out of my ears I had a pounding headache that lasted until ...... well it's still there.

I tried not to let myself feel disappointed that I didn't get the usual blissful feeling that Inner Fire yoga creates but the truth is I was disappointed.  Not at all the result I was hoping for but still an opportunity to learn something just the same.

Of course there is the obvious lessons like:
*  Don't have any expectations and you won't be disappointed 
*  A strong yoga practice in the middle of a heat wave without a/c is not a good idea

There are other lessons too, like:
*  The only way to get exactly what you need from a yoga practice is to do your own practice at home
*  Practicing yoga according to the principles of Ayurveda makes the most sense
*  Always trust your instincts.  If it doesn't feel right, it's probably not right for you
*  Just because it's not right for one person doesn't mean it's not right for someone else
*  And various other lessons that were just for me.

Okay, this fire breathing dragon needs to do a few rounds of the cooling breath and maybe soak my head in a bucket of ice.  Tomorrow morning...... I need to do a pitta reducing practice and get myself back into balance.  If  you feel like fire is shooting out of your nose come join me this week-end to learn how to pacify that inner dragon....... (Class schedule is on the left of this post)

Try the cooling breath - Shitali
- Stick out your tongue and roll it
- Breath in through your rolled tongue
- Close your mouth and breath out from your nose
- Repeat a few times
- Close your eyes and notice how you feel
                        



No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you say to your 19-year-old self?

  When I was 19 years old I didn't know a damn thing about life.  I certainly didn't know a damn thing about myself (I just didn'...