Monday, June 27, 2011

Another adventure on the path to enlightenment.......

How am I ever going to reach a state of enlightenment when I can't even get the heel of my foot to reach the place where the sun don't shine???  This is the pressing question of the day. 

Let me set the scene for you.  I'm awake at 4:30am (against my will but awake none the less).  The candle on the alter softly lights the room.  In the stillness of the early morning I offer a prayer.  Okay, now zoom in on the crazy yogini on the purple mat.......

I've got the book  "Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha" open to page on the Maha Mudra (stretched leg pose).  I am struggling, unsuccessfully, for half hour to get the heel of my  "left foot to press firmly into the perineum or vulva, the location point of mooladhara chakra".   I'm grumbling about the inferiority of my legs.  Surely, it's their fault I'll never reach enlightenment!  How can I when my legs are obviously too short for Maha Mudra!!! 

I give up in frustration.  I think to myself that this mudra along with Khechari Mudra (rolling the tip of your tongue backwards and up as far as you can) are designed to distract yogis.  I have a mental picture of the ancient rishis sitting around the camp fire laughing their ass off at us future yogis spending precious time trying to do these crazy things when we should be in meditation.  

This little episode was a gentle reminder from the universe not to take myself so seriously.  So what that I can't press my foot into the vulva!  When I teach yoga I offer students modifications or alternatives if they are struggling with a posture.  When I was done having a temper tantrum I gave myself a modification that I would offer a student. 

I  practice Janu Sirshasana (head to knee pose) my left foot presses into my right thigh rather than the perineum and I engage Moola Bandha (perineum contraction).  I can't tell you if the effect is the same but I can tell you if the idea behind the Maha Mudra is to encourage the upward movement of energy then the modification works. 

Remembering to treat myself with the same kindness and respect that I try to treat others with is another valuable lesson from this mornings practice.

Ancient rishis, you've had the last laugh today but just wait till tomorrow.  I'll show you!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you say to your 19-year-old self?

  When I was 19 years old I didn't know a damn thing about life.  I certainly didn't know a damn thing about myself (I just didn'...