Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ask and you shall receive

Since I took my very first steps onto this yogic path I've been daydreaming of meeting a great guru.  My hope was that this great guru would light the way for me to reach this state of enlightenment.  Reading books about the great Indian saints and gurus only makes this desire stronger. 

I've been listening to Autobiography of a Yogi on cd in the car.  If you haven't read this book -  I would highly recommend you read it.  Or better yet, listen to it on CD.  This morning, I listened to Yogananda recount numerous stories about the miracles performed by his guru and other saints. One of the stories was about a woman who was on her way to visit her guru (I lost track of which guru performed which miracles -sorry).  She gets to the train station only to find that her train was leaving. She prayed that the train would stop as she was unable to stand the torture of being away from her beloved guru for a moment longer.  (Here's the miracle) -  The train suddenly stops - she's able to board the train and is soon sitting at the feet of her guru.   At this point in the story the green eyed monster appeared in my mind  as I began to wonder why my prayers aren't answered like that.   Maybe I'm not praying hard enough I thought. 

Back to the story,  the guru says to the woman - para-phrasing here - "Oh, why do you bother me with some frivolous things?  You could have taken the next train" -- Once I stopped laughing I had the realization that my prayers are ALWAYS answered.  Perhaps not always the way  I would like them to be but always the way that's best for me. As the green eyed monster slinked away I reflected  on my various prayers to God.

What I noticed is that when I find myself in the midst of a difficult situation or crisis my prayer to God is asking that he guide me so that I can "do the next right thing".  When something good happens - my prayer is a prayer of  thanks. God is almost always on my mind - Either asking for guidance or thanking him for his blessings. 

Yogananda's guru tells him that he will always be there for him whenever he needs him. He need only call for him and he will appear.  -- Isn't that what God does?   When we need him - we need only call for him and he will be there to support and guide us. 

Of course my prayers are always answered.  My happy, healthy children are proof of that.  As are the many other blessings in my life.  I just needed a reminder of that today. The little miracle was that I heard exactly what I needed to hear today in the beautiful words of Yogananda.

As for my search for a guru....... Well, I acknowledge that I have and have had many gurus in my life. Everyone I meet is my guru. Each person in my life is there  to assist me in my evolution.  All I need to do is stay present and be conscious of the lessons and the miracles that unfold in front of me day after day.

I accept that I will not always get what I want but I will certainly always get exactly what I need. -- Thank you God for the gentle reminder.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you say to your 19-year-old self?

  When I was 19 years old I didn't know a damn thing about life.  I certainly didn't know a damn thing about myself (I just didn'...