Saturday, May 22, 2010

Important reminders......

I took a yoga workshop today with my pal, YogaLu.   YogaLu and I car pooled for most of the 5 months of our teacher training.   One thing is for sure, when Lu is in charge, I don't have to worry about anything. She always has everything under control.  I love that!

Anyway, this workshop on sequencing a yoga class was pretty basic.  Teacher Training material really but I'm glad I went.  It was nice to have a refresher.  The instructor was very likable.  I was expecting to learn some creative new sequences that I could take back to my classes.  Unfortunately, I didn't.  What I did take away were some really important reminders. 

1. That it's impossible to please everyone - therefore, all  I can do is teach from my heart.  The students who
    like my teaching style will find their way to my class.  Those who are looking for something else will find
    other classes and that's okay.

2.  It's extremely important to hold the space with compassion and empathy for each student without taking
     in their energy.

3.  My own physical limitations can be valuable tools for me to learn modifications and adjustments that I can
     offer to my students.  These limitations also help the students relate to me and not feel intimidated. 

4.  In the words of my friend, Jon - It ain't about all about me -  the student's experience is more important
     than my plan.  Have a plan but be ready to scrap it.

5.  Ultimately, I need to realize that I am only a channel.  It is my responsibility as a teacher to guide the
     students to their own intuition, their own inner guidance.  I need to get out of the way of their experience.

Interestingly, on the front wall of the studio, there was what looked like a dry erase board.  On this board were written Patanjali's eight fold path.   Including each of the Yama and Niyamas.  I loved that! The Yamas and Niyamas are the very foundation of a yoga lifestyle.

Yamas (social ethics):  Non-violence
                                   Truth
                                   Non-stealing
                                   Appropriate use of one's vital energy
                                   Non-possessiveness
Niyamas (personal ethics):
                                   Purity, cleanliness
                                   Contentment
                                   Practice causing change, "heat"
                                   Self-study
                                   Devotion, surrender to a higher force

Even if you're not a yogi, these are important principals to observe.

All in all, I enjoyed the class and it made me realize how much I loved being in that environment of learning.  The other thing I like about the studio was that the "reception" area was full of books!  (my other passion besides yoga).  I bought a book called the study guide to the Classical Yoga Lifestyle.  I like that it has little exercises at the end of each section which I will be sure to share with you.

Speaking of learning,  If you are interested in diving a little deeper into the practices of yoga, consider yoga teacher training at YOGA ON MAIN.  Beginning in July, they will be offering a 100 hour Ayurveda Certification program with Ed Zadlo,  September - a 200 hour yoga teacher training program with Shiva Das
and a 500 hour advanced teacher training program.  I can tell you from personal experience that these programs are life changing!!   http://www.yogaonmain.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you say to your 19-year-old self?

  When I was 19 years old I didn't know a damn thing about life.  I certainly didn't know a damn thing about myself (I just didn'...