Thursday, May 6, 2010

Death as teacher

Today was my aunt's funeral.
If there was any doubt about the fact that we are not our bodies before, the doubt is gone.

My mom and my zia were standing there saying how great see looked. How she looks the same, like she's
sleeping. I'm sorry I didn't see any signs of Aunt Vera at all. It was obvious to me that Aunt Vera
was gone and all that was left was the container.

I was also struck by the passages that were read by the grandchildren and the priest. There were so many
similarities to the yoga texts I've been reading. 

Anyway.... We are not our bodies.... We are not our minds..... So what are we?? 

Katha Upanishad:  "Hidden in the heart of every creature exists the Self, subtler than the subtlest, greater than the greatest. They go beyond sorrow who extinguish their self-will and behold the glory of the Self through the grace of the Lord of Love"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you say to your 19-year-old self?

  When I was 19 years old I didn't know a damn thing about life.  I certainly didn't know a damn thing about myself (I just didn'...