Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Are you up for a challenge?

When I bought my first house I was so excited.  I set out one spring morning to clear the tiny front yard for planting.  For weeks I cleared out weeds and tended to the seeds I had planted.  My elderly neighbor was
a expert gardener.  Her front yard was so beautiful.  I, on the other hand, was 19 years old and didn't know a damn thing.  So imagine my excitement when I saw the first signs of growth!!  I carefully tended my first little flower.  I watered it, weeded around it, checked on it every day.   One day, my elderly neighbor was working in her garden as I lovely tended to my flower.  "How much longer are you going to let that weed grow before you pull it out?"  Gasp!  Weed..... no, no,  it's not a weed.  It's a flower.  I planted the seeds here!  LOL.  I can laugh now but I could not believe then, that she watched me tend to this "flower" for weeks before she told me it was a weed. 

"That which you put your attention on grows stronger in your life" - That goes for the weeds too.  Whenever we plant the seed of  negativity you will grow more negativity.

I challenge you today to shift your awareness from the "weeds" to the flowers you have planted the seeds for during your yoga practice. 

As you move through your day today, look for the flowers in each experience.  Even during times of challenge there are flowers all around.  You just need to look for them.  Maybe it's the smile of  the stranger who held the door open for you.   The sweet smell of honeysuckles as you walk into the office.

Try this little exercise:  Before you go to bed take just a few minutes to write down 5 things you're grateful for that day.  Do this for 1 week.  I'd love to hear from you about this experience.  Give it a try and let's meet back here in one week and share all the wonderful things we have to be grateful for. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice!
    I will do that, starting tonight.
    Wow, I have a lot to be grateful for!

    JJMuffin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it going, M. Don't stop.

    ReplyDelete

What would you say to your 19-year-old self?

  When I was 19 years old I didn't know a damn thing about life.  I certainly didn't know a damn thing about myself (I just didn'...