Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Life is tough!

I received an email newsletter today from an astrologer talking about what she called "The Cardinal Climax — Death and Resurrection". This astrologer
says "The years 2009 through 2012 will be the most challenging and stressful period of our century. What is happening astrologically during this period will change the world as we know it, change our lives as we live them and indeed change our world history"

Thank you Rose for sending me this email; I was running out of things to obsess over!

The reality is that we certainly don't need an astrologer to tell us how challenging and stressful life is right now. It seems like everyone is facing challenges either financially, physically or emotionally. You can see the tension and worry on people's faces. You can hear the anxiety in their voices.

So let's take a stroll, shall we, to our handy dandy yoga tool box.

The first thing that comes to mind right now is a story I read, probably in the Upanishads. (Please forgive me as I para-phrase here). A student asks his master to give him some spiritual teachings. The master tells the student that he isn't ready yet. The student insists, so the master says, very well then, pour me some tea into this cup. Don't stop pouring until I tell you too. So the student obeys and begins to pour the tea. Soon the cup is over flowing and the students says master, the tea is spilling over! The master explains that the student is like the cup. He cannot receive the spiritual wisdom because he is already full. He must "empty" his mind so that he is able to receive.

When our minds and hearts are full of anxiety and fear there isn't any room for peace and contentment. I'm not going to tell you not to feel these things. What I'm suggesting is that you feel them but don't let them fill you up. Don't get stuck in those emotions.

A practical tip: Throughout the day notice your shoulders and your jaw. Are you holding on to tension? Try opening your mouth wide and sticking your tongue out as far as you can. Move your jaw side to side. Draw your shoulders back and down away from your ears. Move your awareness now to your hands. Are you clenching your fists? spread your fingers wide, shake your hands. Those are the places I find I hold on to tension.

You may feel it in other areas of your body. Pay attention to the tension in your physical body. Try to soften the areas that are tense. Notice if releasing some tension from your body helps you to release some mental tension.

There is no better way to release physical tension than through the practice of Hatha yoga!! It's time for me to roll out my yoga mat.

Loka Samasta Sukino Bhavantu. Om Shanti!
May all being find peace and happiness!

1 comment:

What would you say to your 19-year-old self?

  When I was 19 years old I didn't know a damn thing about life.  I certainly didn't know a damn thing about myself (I just didn'...