Sunday, March 21, 2010

The power of Nature

GAYATRI MANTRA
Om Bhur Bhuva Swaha
Tat Savitur Varenyam
Bhargo devasya Dhimahi
D'yo Yona Prachodhyat.

translation: Earth, Mid-heaven, Heaven! Let us meditate on that most excellent light of Divine sun, That it may illuminate our minds.

I've been teaching a Sunday morning yoga class at Seva Retreat now since November.
Since I start there I've been thinking about teaching outside. The grounds of the facility are beautiful. Well, today was the day! We dragged our mats and blankets outside and set ourselves up on the lawn over looking the pond.

With our feet feeling the support of the earth beneath us - (literally), we swept our arms up over our heads as we look up at beautiful blue sky and feel the warmth of Surya, we began our Sun Salutations. The sound of the birds serenading us while we practiced was the most lovely music ever! We ended our practice with meditation.

One of the students mentioned how powerful meditating outside was for her. I totally agree. The closer to nature we are the closer to OUR true nature we are.

Our true nature, the Atman, is always in a state of peace. It's always there, in the lotus of our heart. The earth is always there beneath us, offering us support, the sun is always there offering it's warmth. Are we connected to that? How do we connect with that support, love, and peace when our circumstances make it difficult for us to feel those things? Meditation..... Meditation outside in nature - even better.

Whenever I go on vacation, which is rare these days, one of the first things I do is scope out a spot for myself (usually outside) where I can go for meditation.

If you are not a meditator yet, don't worry, you too can feel the love, support, and peace the universe has to offer. One simply technique that can be practiced by anyone and anywhere is watching your breath. Sit outside with your eyes closed for a few minutes, then bring your awareness to your breath, notice your breath. Don't try to change it or judge it, just notice it. Pay attention to it. When a thought comes to your mind, gently bring your mind back to your breath. If you find that the breath isn't enough to keep your mind focused, try memorizing an inspirational passage or pray. Keep breathing deeply and recite the passage or prayer internally, slowly. A thought comes into your mind, begin the passage/prayer again. Give it a try.

Breath in the warm, healing energy of the sun......
Breath out and share that energy with those around you!

Om Bhur Bhuva Swaha
Tat Savitur Varenyam
Bhargo devasya dhimahi
D'Yo yona prachodhyat

1 comment:

  1. Practicing outside was so beautiful! Thank YOU!!! I took your message with me for the rest of the day and I intend to have it help me throughout my "work week"... I'm going to keep the inner peace I have within me in mind when the external situation gets hectic. The trees, sun, earth, and everything in nature reminded me this weekend that they are all here for me always. Getting into nature is being true to myself, and you helped me remember that.

    ReplyDelete

What would you say to your 19-year-old self?

  When I was 19 years old I didn't know a damn thing about life.  I certainly didn't know a damn thing about myself (I just didn'...